The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, will be swearing in nine newly appointed Justices of the Court of Appeal. The ceremony will take place at the Main Court auditorium of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
The ceremony will be held on Wednesday, September 20, and will begin at 11:00 am. The Chief Justice of Nigeria will administer the oath of office to the new Court of Appeal Justices.
Let’s meet the new Justices of the Court of Appeal:
1. Hannatu Azumi Laja-Balogun from Kaduna State: She became a High Court Judge on May 24, 1999.
2. Binta Fatima Zubairu from Kaduna State: She was appointed a High Court Judge on October 31, 2001.
3. Peter Chudi Obiora from Anambra State: He became a High Court Judge on January 17, 2005.
4. Okon Efreti Abang from Akwa Ibom State: He was appointed a High Court Judge on June 22, 2009.
5. Asma’u Musa Mainoma from the Federal Capital Territory: She became a High Court Judge on February 1, 2013.
6. Lateef Adebayo Ganiyu from Oyo State: He became a High Court Judge on June 26, 2014.
7. Jane Esienanwan Iyang from Cross River State: She was sworn in as a High Court Judge on February 12, 2015.
8. Hadiza Rabiu Shagari from Sokoto State: She was elevated to the High Court Bench on February 12, 2015.
9. Paul Ahmed Bassi from Borno State: He was appointed to the High Court on July 14, 2017.
Justice Amina Adamu Augie will retire from the Supreme Court’s Bench on September 21, 2023. She will turn 70 years old on September 3, 2023, which is the mandatory retirement age.